For those of you who are on the hunt for a swivel or rocker recliner to replace your armchair, your sofa or even office chair, remember to take your height into consideration!
If you are ‘vertically challenged,’ (in other words, a short person) you will need to take a few things into consideration.
Who said bigger is better? Petite recliners can be just as comfortable (if not more) as oversized recliner chairs for the right person. In this buyer’s guide, we will cover the benefits of purchasing petite recliners, what they should be made from for durability and quality, as well as some of their best features.
Posture & Comfort While Sitting for Small Person
Short people sometimes have problems getting comfortable while sitting down. The seat is either too high, too far back or with padding in the wrong places. When we sit down, it’s important that our feet sit firmly planted on the ground – otherwise, after prolonged periods of sitting, the circulation can be cut off from the feet. Another problem with not having your feet on the ground is that one tends to slide forward on the seat and that causes a misalignment of posture, which can cause backaches and problems. If the recliner is too high or the seat is too far backward, your feet may dangle off the edge.
If the seat is built for larger individuals, it does not necessarily mean that the seat will provide better comfort. Often padded sofas or recliner chairs will be designed to support the lower back, arms, and neck of a person. If the design does not align with your height and body shape, you will likely end up putting pressure on parts that should be supported, also resulting in back, neck and hip pains.
Common Recliner Mistakes to Avoid As A Small Person
If you are short, do not be sold on the idea that bigger is better. You will thank yourself for purchasing the recliner with the right size for your body shape. Mistakes that petite people often make stem from making a decision before physically sitting in the seat to test it out. When shopping online for recliners, make sure you know the measurements you are looking for. If you have no perfected chair with which to base your measurements on, consider measuring your body – you will know what works for you that way, without a doubt!
Other mistakes short individuals make include purchasing a recliner without a headrest, thinking it’s a smaller recliner. Rather go for a recliner that has a headrest and avoids neck or back problems. You will also want to make sure you can reach the lever or the mechanism that allows the recliner to recline fully.
Properties of the Best Recliners for Petite and Short People
- Height Adjustable – Naturally, the ability to adjust the height makes a recliner a winner for a small individual. This feature is particularly useful if you have to share it with your family inside a home
- The Perfect Size – a recliner which is plush and not shaped will likely cause you fewer troubles if oversized than one that is contoured for larger individuals. However, making sure your recliner fits your body shape and height is the best chance of walking away with the perfect purchase.
- Remote Control – this can come in useful, especially if you aren’t able to reach the mechanism that allows the recliner to lean back. Simply push the button, and you are ready to relax!
- Upholstery – while this property is not so related to height, it’s still important. Make sure that your recliner is covered in a breathable fabric to ensure that you don’t sweat while sitting in it.
- Wall Hugging Recliners – recliners that are ‘wall huggers’ or space-saving recliners tend to be more compact with measurements that are ideal for shorter individuals.
Reviews: Small & Petite Adult Recliner
Below is our selection of some of the best petite recliners for short people – find the right height and save space in your home!
- There is no fuss with this soft and comfy recliner armchair, simply lean back to recline without reaching forward for a lever or button.
- The cover is easy to clean and made from a very pleasing microfiber, soft to the touch.
- Lean back to enjoy your favorite movie, read your favorite book or even get up to scratch with your knitting.
- This cozy recliner’s dimensions are 35.8 x 31 x 38 inches and should only be purchased by people with petite physiques.
- The manufacturers of this armchair offer free replacement parts, as well as a one year warranty for the entire chair.
- This recliner measures a full 68 inches in height, the back rest being 28 inches and the seat and legs making up the other 40 inches.
- This recliner, which is covered in a soft microfiber cover, is ideal for small individuals who struggle to find the right size of living room armchair.
- This comfortable recliner is operated by a convenient ‘car door’ lever.
- The arms, back and neck pads are stuffed with foam and also include a spring system underneath for extra support and optimal comfort.
- This recliner only needs 4 inches of wall space to recline fully, saving space and allowing you to indulge in watching television, read or relax even if you live in a confined space.
- This product will arrive in parts and takes less than 15mins to assemble, according to the manufacturers.
- If you enjoy pleasing modern aesthetics in your home interior and have short legs, then this is the recliner for you!
- The off-white upholstery is good quality, breathable and removable.
- Built over a very sturdy plywood frame for an extended lifespan.
- The glider recliner measures at exactly 29 x 29 x 29 inches, making it perfect for short individuals.
- One can simply glide back with the smooth lever mechanism, enjoying supreme style and comfort that fits your petite size.
- The Cozzia Dual Powered Zero Gravity Recliner is one of the most sophisticated heated massage recliner chairs currently available.
- The dual-powered motored allows one to control the leg rest and the headrest independently of one another and are adjustable.
- After 15minutes in zero gravity position, expect to feel light, uplifted and relaxed. Zero gravity will significantly ease pressure on your spine and help your blood to move freely with improved circulation.
- To recline, get a massage or turn up the heat in this chair, just push the button.
- The soft padding of the chair is very comfortable and upholstered in a superior bonded leather.
- This Zero Gravity Recliner Chair has dimensions of 42 x 31.5 x 46 inches – one can adjust the height to compensate for short people.
- Every part of this recliner is fully adjustable, from head to toe. Decide on the perfect head rest or foot rest height for your shape and size.
- The headrest and armrests are padded for optimal comfort in the outdoors.
- The entire recliner can be folded up and is 100% portable – take it to work, to the beach, to a vacation, camping or simply use it to relax at home.
- The ergonomically designed steel frame can recline back fully and even allows one to experience the joys of zero gravity, using a clip system to suspend the recliner in the air.
- The recliner is compact, ideal for tall or short people and uses a material that only allows a 3% stretch without sagging after use.
- All of the chair’s parts are replaceable, including the upholstery, the armrests, and the frame.
- The covers can be taken off, and machine washed for maximum convenience. The fabric can withstand temperatures ranging in between -22 F and 158 F.
- This petite recliner chair holds the stylish contemporary design of a club chair with the added benefit of reclining comfort.
- Upholstered in superior quality bonded leather, it’s easy to keep clean, and there is a large variety of colors to choose from.
- The sturdy hardwood frame makes it an ideal choice for those who cannot afford to replace their furnishings every few years.
- The recliner is waterproof, which also makes it child and pet-friendly!
- The smooth recline mechanism does not involve the use of a lever – simply lean back into one of three positions at your leisure.
- This medium petite recliner chair is ideal for those who demand comfort as well as proper back support.
- Enjoy the comforts of a full leg rest as you recline back to watch television or take a nap.
- The ribbed padding in the back of the recliner chair is firm and ergonomically shaped to keep your back straight and pressure-free.
- Upholstered in a soft and cushy microfiber that has been treated with stain resistance to last longer.
- The hardwood frame is backed with steel braces ensuring the recliner will last a long time.
- The plush armrests are just waiting for you to sink in and make yourself at home!
- This recliner is ideal for any petite person who battles to stand from a seated position.
- The back cushions are zippered for easy removal and can be machine washed conveniently.
- A quilted backrest ensures a decent degree of pressure alleviation on the back and neck as you recline back.
- There are three automated positions you can choose from, and no effort to recline is necessary, simply push a button to relax!
- Take full advantage of the lift function for easy standing from a seated position.
- In case the power goes out unexpectedly, the recliner comes with an emergency battery backup.
- The Ashley Raulo Rocker Recliner for petite individuals has merged recliner comfort with rocker armchair indulgence!
- The superior foam padding supports the back, particularly the lower back exceptionally, presenting the user with unmatched comfort.
- The soft polyester microfiber covering will allow you to feel as soft and plush on the outside as you will on the inside when reclining back in this chair.
- The smooth lever recliner mechanism brings you back slowly with one pull and no fuss.
- While reclining or in sitting position, one may enjoy the gentle rocking motion of this recliner, making it ideal for nursing moms or soothing anxiety.
- Constructed from a reinforced metal frame for long-lasting durability and structural stability.
- If you are looking for a petite recliner for your child, why not order the best?
- This stain-resistant recliner was designed for young children in mind and is easy to clean with a damp cloth.
- A cup holder rests on the right arm of the chair so that your child can enjoy a drink while leaning back.
- The intuitive lean back recline mechanism was made to be user-friendly for kids.
- Soft foam padding provides a cushion of comfort for your child while still being firm enough to encourage a healthy posture.
Top Small Leather Recliner and ChairsSmall leather chairs are one of the best ways to reinvent your living room, but small leather recliners are even better! To help choose the best lounge suite, we have detailed small recliner buying precautions, distinctions between different qualities of leather and a few of the best features of small leather recliner chairs.
Small Leather Recliner Buying Precautions
Before you purchase what appears to be a good looking leather recliner, you will want to consider the following points about it first:
- Materials – Find out what the recliner is made from. The frame should be stable and durable, made from either a hardwood like Pine or stainless steel. The padding should be comfortable and ample enough to relax into. High-density foam wrapped in a soft foam pocketed coils underneath a layer of foam or memory foam tend to make the best padding.
- Design – The design of the recliner should support your back and posture. If it doesn’t provide you with lumbar support, you will have a tough time getting comfortable.
- Space – Consider the place you want to put the recliner in your home and how many you want to buy. Many recliners need at least 8 inches away from a wall and often do best in the center of a room.
Different Leather Varieties
When looking at small leather recliners, it’s best to know what type of leather you are dealing with.
- Genuine Leather – Genuine leather sounds like good quality, but it is the third best quality of leather on the market. Genuine leather is leather that has been refined, polished on both sides to produce a thinner leather that will need replacing every decade or so if kept in good condition. Genuine leather is also sometimes referred to as suede leather.
- Top Grain Leather – Top grain leather is the second highest quality of leather available. Only one side of this leather has been made smooth, and the thickness of the leather has been kept intact as much as possible. This leather will likely not need replacing in your lifetime!
- Full Grain Leather – Full grain leather, as the name suggests, is “raw” unrefined leather that still has a very grainy feel to it. This is even more durable than top grain leather and is considered better quality, but will take time to soften.
- Bonded Leather – Bonded leather is any leather (except full grain) that has been treated with a layer of latex or equivalent synthetic material to give it a smooth, shiny coating. Bonded leather is often waterproof and very easy to keep clean.
Best Small Leather Recliner Features
The below features will make your small leather recliner above average. You may never want to get out of it again!
- Wall Hugging – For those who are pinched for space, a wall hugging recliner will recline backward, as well as away from the wall.
- Adjustability – If comfort is your number one priority, try to get a fully adjustable recliner chair. These will be able to recline into any position you desire, often allowing you to move the head and leg rests independently.
- Heat and Massage – While heat and massage are two features, they are often placed together in recliners (not that anyone would complain about that!). With just the click of a button, one can recline back into a heated back massage and let all the tension of the day just melt away.
- Lumbar Support – You should buy a recliner that has decent lumbar support to prevent back problems, but some recliners offer more lumbar support than usual, and this makes them even more comfortable! Adaptive lumbar support (such as with memory foam) is the best possible lumbar support, as it will move with the shape of your back at any given point in time and help to alleviate pressure points.
- Storage – Particularly if you are looking for a small recliner because space is an issue, a recliner that can store things for you may be a big bonus. Recliners sometimes have side pockets, secret compartments or drink holders which are all very useful and allow you more relax time.
Reviews: Small Leather Recliners
Have a look at the below selection of small leather recliners and decide which one will suit your interior the best!
- This small leather recliner chair will make a quaint edition to any apartment, small living interior or reception area.
- Designed with clean lines and edges for a modern appeal, with the ability to bring life to any modern interior.
- This recliner is not suitable for big and tall people but is ideal for short or smaller people who want an exact match to their shape and size.
- The pushback recline mechanism is easy to operate and does not require stretching to get into a comfortable position.
- Upholstered in genuine leather and built on a solid frame with stable footing, the recliner will last you for the next few years.
- This recliner will do good for any petite person seeking a cost effective small leather recliner chair for their office, study or lounge.
- The arms and lumbar regions are overly stuffed for maximum support and comfort where you need it the most.
- Choose to put your legs up while reclining or just move the ottoman out the way to forego leg support.
- The base of both the ottoman and the recliner swivel, allowing you to turn from side to side with your feet up or to have the full scope of the room.
- The bonded leather upholstery is durable and makes for convenient cleaning with a damp cloth.
- The Rolls-Royce of petite leather recliner armchairs, this expertly handcrafted recliner combines Italian style with world class comfort.
- Upholstered in superior Italian genuine leather, the recliner will remain in an excellent condition for decades to come.
- Electrically powered, the recliner is a power recliner that offers full independent adjustability of the leg and headrests.
- The leather used in this small recliner is certified environmentally friendly, and Natuzzi strives for perfection in all spheres, including keeping our planet clean.
- The arms, back, and leg rest of this small leather recliner are expertly padded for optimal lumbar support.
- This recliner chair is narrow and suitable for petite people or interiors with limited space available.
- Upholstered in PU bonded leather, the recliner is easy to keep clean and will last if maintained regularly.
- Only needs ±3 inches of space to recline fully and can double as a guest bed for petite people who wish to stay over.
- This small leather recliner is available in three trendy colors and will match any interior you opt to place it in.
- Provides excellent full body support and can be adjusted to any angle of choice.
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 300 lbs.
- This recliner chair is a bit bigger than the average small recliner chair, but if you have the space, it’s worth it!
- Comes fully inclusive with an 8 point pressure alleviating massage and heat that is capable of removing all tension at the end of a long day!
- Multiple storage compartments make it perfect for those who love to spend long hours in their recliner without getting up.
- The pull out lever is convenient to operate and does not require any muscle power to use.
- The headrest can be adjusted to match the height of the person using it.
- Overstuffed for immense comfort and upholstered in PU bonded leather for easy maintenance.
- This recliner chair can also swivel and rock, making it perfect for nursing moms and a wide range of interior styles.
Why Buy A Petite Recliner?
If you take a look at what’s trending, it may surprise some of you to see that petite recliners are quite a popular choice in our day and age. It seems counter-intuitive when one can purchase an oversized recliner chair that can accommodate all shapes and sizes of people. That assumption is not entirely accurate, however. A recliner chair should match your exact height to prevent back problems from occurring further down the line. If you are a petite person, you should invest in a unique petite recliner for yourself. Some parents have taken to buying petite recliners for children to prevent their kids from developing back complaints at a later stage.
Other common reasons for purchasing a petite recliner is for saving a few pennies, as well as space in a small apartment. Petite recliners are smaller, generally easier to assemble and are also a lot more cost-effective than oversized recliners. If you want to vamp up your lounge cost-effectively with some stylish petite armchairs, consider rather buying a set of petite recliners – it does not vary significantly in price and is far more luxurious when it comes to entertaining guests.
Best Petite Recliner Materials
As with many online purchases, one should be strict about the quality one receives. The best way of assuring this is by looking at the materials the recliner chair is made from and checking the warranty (if any). Below we have discussed some of the most durable recliner materials that make up the best petite recliners:
- Steel or Hardwood Framework – both stainless steel or hardwoods make the best recliner framework. Stainless steel is rust-proof, which is a good idea if you live in a humid climate or near the sea. Hardwood is traditionally one of the oldest materials that recliners are made from and refers to any wood with sturdy characteristics, e.g. Pine, Oak, Mahogany, Birchwood, or Cedarwood. Beware the recliner made from plywood, plastic or any similarly softer material!
- Leather – leather is the most durable upholstery that a recliner can be covered with, lasting for decades and longer (depending on the quality). There are many different kinds of leather. The best quality leather is full grain leather, followed by top grain and genuine leather. Bonded leathers and PU leathers are usually made with genuine leather that has been infused with latex or polyurethane to make it waterproof. This is great if you are prone to making a mess often.
- Microfiber – a cheaper leather alternative is a microfiber cover for those who want something a bit more soft to the touch. Microfiber fabrics have a near velvety texture but do not last as long as leather. The prime advantage of microfiber is that one can remove the covering and wash them in the washing machine. It’s also a lot easier and cheaper to replace the upholstery of a microfiber covering.
Desirable Features of Petite Recliner Chairs
In this section, we have detailed some of the best characteristics of petite recliner chairs, so you know where you stand when making your purchase.
- Foam – recliners are padded with multitudes of different materials from coils to cotton. At the end of the day, high-density foam padding will provide you with the best lumbar and body support. Memory foam is even more luxurious, conforming to your body’s unique shape for ultimate relaxation.
- Full Leg Support – many petite recliners do not offer full leg support, which is not always a requirement for some people. However, full leg support allows you to relax more deeply and helps to improve circulation in your legs, knees and feet.
- Heat – at the push of a button, some recliners allow you to heat your backside while reclining back. This is ideal for those long, cold Winter months where all you want to do is hibernate!
- Massage – modern recliner chairs now offer massage to the user, and some of them even have a variety of massage options that one can choose from. These recliners will vibrate at select points on your body, alleviating pressure and tension.
- Ejection – this is a fantastic feature for those who battle to stand up from a sitting position. With the aid of remote control, an ejection or lift recliner chair will hoist you up to your feet with ease.